The Chancel of the Parish Church of St John the Baptist, Tideswell

Gallery: All galleries » Buildings & architecture

The Chancel of the Parish Church of St John the Baptist, Tideswell

Known as the "Cathedral of the Peak" because of its size and grandeur, the parish church of St John the Baptist at Tideswell was built almost entirely in the Decorated style of the fourteenth century. Much of the money for the construction, which was interrupted by the Black Death, was provided by the wealthy Foljambe and Meverell families.

The brass in the chancel to John Foljambe, who died in 1358, is a copy made in 1875 - the original was lost or stolen. Nearby is a brass to Robert Pursglove (1504-79), Bishop of Hull, who founded the grammar school in 1560. The large tomb in the middle of the chancel belongs to Sir Sampson Meverell, a veteran of the Hundred Years' War with France, who died in 1462.

This is an extremely large image with a huge amount of detail which is not apparent in the preview above. It can be printed to a particularly large size without losing any of the image quality.

Image Data

Image date 22 Jun 2005
Projection Cylindrical
Dimensions (full size) 19,055 pixels x 11,894 pixels (227MP)